Andy Stanley — Jesus Says
Jesus says to pray. Jesus says not to look over there. Jesus says to be nice. Jesus says to get up early and read your Bible. Lots of people think Christianity is all about doing what Jesus says. But what if doing what Jesus says isn’t what Jesus says to do at all? Regardless of what you believe. Regardless of how you behave. Jesus invites you to... follow him.
1. Talk about one of your favorite bosses, coaches, or teachers. What made it easy for you to follow that person?
2. Did you grow up in a church that emphasized doing what Jesus says over following him? Or if you didn’t grow up going to church, did you assume that’s what Christianity was all about? How has the “Jesus says” mindset affected your spiritual journey so far?
3. In the message, Andy said this about his own spiritual journey: “When I got better at doing what Jesus says, it didn’t make me more like Jesus. In fact, it made me more judgmental.” How does that statement align with your own spiritual journey or with your experiences interacting with Christians?
4. How is the idea that Jesus wants everyone to follow him regardless of what they believe or how they behave comforting? How is it challenging?
5. What are some things that make it difficult for you to follow Jesus?
6. What is one thing you can do this week to begin to follow Jesus or to follow him more closely? What can this group do to support you?
At the end of the day, the question isn’t how far along on your spiritual journey you are, but whether you’re following Jesus. Begin tomorrow morning with this prayer: “Lord, where you lead, I will follow.”
CHANGING YOUR MIND
Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said:
Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. Mark 8:34